Sunday, February 22, 2009

Adrienne Kaplan's New Work




Adrienne Kaplan and I sat on the small white sofa where people sit and view works at the back of the gallery and discussed her recent show of landscapes, as well as portraits and figure studies. Our conversation covered art in general and what art means to her. "I want to be true to what I'm seeing but I like to move away so the painting becomes more mine - more what I think. The feeling of movement and gesture is important as well as materials . " She referred to Jim Dine's recent work at the Getty Museum as having an aesthetic she admires. "'Hands on' is critical," she says. As well as directness, energy, focus.

Adrienne says, "I love painting the domestic environment. Whatever I do, I'm always drawing as a way of understanding life and the world; creativity comes out." Right now, she is contemplating using internet images of a falling man in an "event" painting, because she saw a man fall recently and she "can't help making up a story."

Referring to figure painter, Lucian Freud, Adrienne says she loves his drawings and etchings - "the way he captures character." She doesn't care for Freud's color palette in his paintings, however - the grays and earth colors. After doing a number of full-length portraits, shown in her recent exhibition, Adrienne has been attempting a portrait of gallery member Nina Hauser. Adrienne says the work has come to a standstill. "I want it to be Nina - who she is. " This is not an easy task; in fact, we agreed the "ups and downs" of painting can refer to "the give and take of life - the "synchronicity" as Adrienne put it: "art is an interaction."


No comments: